Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A vacation that wasnt...

For those of you who have actually wondered why I havent blogged ( i know it is a measly few who have), I was too shocked and ashamed of myself to relate my last few days' occurrence..Anyways here goes...

We had this beautiful vacation to Phuket planned..My hubby,my son ,my brother, my SIL and their lil baby girl...2 days before the trip, we realised my passport has expired!! Me, the 'phoren' returned!! I haven't kept track of my passport ! I was too stunned to believe. We got to work and gathered all our papers, got a gazetted officer to sign some documents at 11 in the night. Monday morning, bright and early, we were there at the passport office to file for passport renewal through the 'tatkal scheme'..Expecting a day or 2 at the most for processing, I was left shocked again..After all it is 'loads of power' resting with the 'small people'..They would not so much as look at it. In fact, I knew my chances were slim when the applicant before me, a 70 year old man had got all his papers, with originals, except for his telephone bill. He had brought only a photocopy. He was pleading saying that he stayed too far and needed to come back in a bus. I know its difficult to break rules but to impolitely ask that old man to leave is the pits..
And to top it there were 2 days off for the passport office that week. Why, u ask? Mahavir Jayanti and Good Friday..Really, these guys must work for only a handful of days in a year!!
So instead of getting my passport in 1-3 days according to the expensive tatkal scheme, I get it in 11 days..More money spent but more time taken too...

Anyways, with my blessings, the rest of the family went on the trip...And had a reasonably ok time..And after the first day or so, I had a great time too (though I am not telling them that..I am still trying to play on their guilt for something interesting in return..)

No comments: